Happy New Year!

Ok, I for one am glad 2022 is over and looking forward to a new year and a new growing season. But I have much to be grateful for despite my dismal yield of tomatoes last season. So instead of looking at the negative which there is plenty of that in the news, I’m going to focus on the positive from last year’s garden. So here are some of the successes in 2022:

-Because we had such a good rainy season (monsoons), my annual flowers (in fact all my flowers, perennial and annual flowers were absolutely fantastic. All the annual seeds I threw out on the ground (I didn’t even start any inside last season) came up and in fact I had to thin out some of them to keep from overcrowding. I don’t think I have had a more beautiful flower garden inside the veggie garden.

-Actually most veggie crops did well for me except the tomatoes. All cool season crops continued to produce very well throughout the summer because of those rains and cooler temperatures-kohlrabi, kale, chard, lettuce, onions, potatoes did great.

-The raspberries and finally the blackberries  produced LOTS of berries, again because of the rains. Still, no salmonberries or honeyberries last season but am hoping for their berries to show up this year.

-My winter and summer squash did exceptionally well with very little disease-I grow butternut squash and Friulana summer squash because they usually don’t get many (if any) squash bugs. Only one butternut squash out of 8 squash got them but it is interesting to note that all the butternuts were crowded in one bed (as in overflowing) so they were all very close together and only one plant got them and none of the rest got them and no squash bugs or disease in the Friulani summer squash plants either.

-I grew Yukon Jack potatoes in 2021 and that harvest was dismal. But in that same bed I had 5 volunteer potato plants that came up and produced very well and most were good sized spuds. I guess I missed some of the teeny-tiny potatoes during the previous year but again with all the rain, it was a good harvest.

-My carrots were bodacious! I still have about 10 lbs stored from this last season. I really liked the ‘Dragon Purple carrots with their dark purple skins and bright reddish orange flesh inside.

-The Italian dry pole bean variety, Casalbuono di Panzareidd, a white bean with red splashes was super productive and super tasty.

So as we enter the new year with many new growing possibilities, I get excited with new hope for a great 2023 growing season. I wish you all a happy new year where you all prosper and flourish in your gardening and personal lives.

14 comments on “Happy New Year!

1. tonytomeo says:

Okay, I am too tired to remember this. Are the salmonberries and honeyberries new this year? (If so, it should be no surprise that they did not produce yet. However, since you expected them to produce, they are not likely new.) Also, are the salmonberries fancy cultivars, or just the straight species? I still can not get used to your cool season vegetables performing better than they do here. I suppose that you know more about your climate than I do. Hey, what are you doing up posting this at midnight (or one in the morning in your time zone)?

• Salmonberries were planted 3 years ago and honeyberries 2 years ago so I’m hoping one or both varieties will produce this year. I read it takes around 3 years for that to happen. I believe the salmonberry was not a fancy cultivar. I post quite often late at nite as I am a owl!

Liked by 1 person

• tonytomeo says:

Oh, I suppose that you are correct. I expect salmonberries to produce in their second year, which they technically can do, but they have not grown enough to produce much by then. My original salmonberries were just the straight species, but they did not produce before they were cooked by the fire. I never saw them again. The new salmonberries are also the straight species, but collected from the wild.

• I believe my salmonberries are the straight species as well. Both salmonberries and honeyberries aren’t suppose to grow here but they both can handle extreme cold and soil pH isn’t suppose to be a factor. It’s all an experiment. I enjoy trying new things! I got the idea because my neighbor has a 5′ salmonberry in his garden and it is doing well despite his negligence and I wanted blueberries (not possible here-the soil is not acidic enough for them), so I thought I’d try honeyberries instead. Maybe this year I will get fruit. I did find when I covered all of them with 30% shade cloth last summer, they did much better here. Our sun is intense and the altitude (7000’high) let’s in a lot of UV. Time will tell!

Liked by 1 person

• tonytomeo says:

Honeyberries sound interesting. I only heard of them a few years ago, well, perhaps several by now. I intend to try them for the same reason, to see what all the fuss is about.

• Yes I heard honeyberries make a a great substitute for blueberries in areas that don’t have acidic soil. Like I said, we have very alkaline soil so I would never try blueberries here in the southwest. Besides I like experimenting in the garden which keeps me interested. I’ll let you know Tony, if they come back this year and also if I get any fruit this year. Hope so.

Liked by 1 person

• tonytomeo says:

I never tried blueberries either, partly because I am not so keen on them, but mostly because of the alkalinity. (I really believe that this should be explained in the nurseries that sell the plants.) However, I found that others grew a few in the neighborhood. They were certainly not abundant, but the few that they got were not bad. I took some plants from there to here, and found that they are quite happy. I will grow them, but will give the fruit away if I get any.

2. Amy Ellingson says:

Hi Jannine,

Wow, so great to hear how your garden did this year. We actually had a great year for tomatoes— we had 10 plants (planted from seed) and they all thrived and produced a lot of fruit. We also had loads of flowers! What a joy, to have them mixed in with the veggies. Our raspberries haven’t thrived the whole time we’ve been here (4 summers) so we removed them and put in a drought tolerant pollinator garden, instead. Much better!

Here are a few pics of our garden/garden bounty. We owe a lot of it to you, and the classes we were able to take, pre-covid!

Thanks again, and Happy New Year!

Amy

Amy Ellingson http://www.amyellingson.com

3. Josephine says:

Can I grow fennel here in Santa Fe?

4. Anna says:

Hi! I’m curious if you do anything special for your honeyberries? Like shade cloth in the summer or something like that?
    I just planted some last spring and couldn’t resist ordering two more for this spring, but I’m concerned that it’s too hot and dry for them here…

• I use 30 % shade cloth over them in the summer. I figure with them being from the northwest that they would not like our higher temps or high UV light. Last year they did much better with the shade cloth. You must get 2 varieties that will pollinate each other.

I bought them as plants from onegreenworld.com. They came in perfect condition. Go online and see what varieties they have for this year, 2023. I wanted some of the shorter varieties (some can get 5′ tall), then call them and talk to the person who answers the phone and they will help with getting you 2 varieties that are good pollinators together.

• Anna says:

Awesome! Thank you for the tip, I’ll be sure to try it this summer!
        I planted two honeyberries last spring, and I don’t think they grew at all but at least they didn’t die. Then I couldn’t resist ordering two more to plant this spring.
        I’m really hoping the shade cloth helps!

• Awesome! I hope all of our honeyberries will do well this year (and fruit)!

What do you think??

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s