Now is the beginning of our season for fruit and vegetable gardeners. I got my light boxes out! Woo! Hoo! Here we go! Here are 10 things to do for or in your garden this month.
1. Finish ordering your seeds or getting your seeds if you haven’t already.
2. Get your light tables and heating mats out and ready to go. Use florescent lights that are at least 3000 lumen. I use the daylight ones. They produce less ‘leggy’ veggies.
3. Start tomato, pepper and eggplant seeds indoors to set out later as transplants depending on variety.
4. Finish your garden plans
5. Get your soil tested to see what amendments you might need to add to it.
6. Put horse manure that has been aged for at least 6 months on your garden beds and dig in. Don’t put on ‘hot’ manure.
7. Hurry up and finish pruning your fruit trees. Not much time left.
8. Spray your fruit trees with dormant oil before their buds turn color to smother any dormant bugs.
9. Water your trees.
10. Plant COOL SEASON vegetable seeds OUTSIDE on ST. PATRICK’S DAY. Some varieties include carrots, beets, lettuces, spinach, arugula, bok choy, swiss chard, onions, brocolli, cabbage, peas, radishes, mustard, kale and other greens.