Now is the beginning of our season for fruit and vegetable gardeners. I got my light boxes out! Woo! Hoo! Here we go! Here are 10 things to do for or in your garden this month.
1. Finish ordering your seeds or getting your seeds if you haven’t already.
2. Get your light tables and heating mats out and ready to go. Use florescent lights that are at least 3000 lumen. I use the daylight ones. They produce less ‘leggy’ veggies.
3. Start tomato, pepper and eggplant seeds indoors to set out later as transplants depending on variety.
4. Finish your garden plans
5. Get your soil tested to see what amendments you might need to add to it.
6. Put horse manure that has been aged for at least 6 months on your garden beds and dig in. Don’t put on ‘hot’ manure.
7. Hurry up and finish pruning your fruit trees. Not much time left.
8. Spray your fruit trees with dormant oil before their buds turn color to smother any dormant bugs.
9. Water your trees.
10. Plant COOL SEASON vegetable seeds OUTSIDE on ST. PATRICK’S DAY. Some varieties include carrots, beets, lettuces, spinach, arugula, bok choy, swiss chard, onions, brocolli, cabbage, peas, radishes, mustard, kale and other greens.
[…] this month. 1. Finish ordering your seeds or getting your seeds if you … … Link: 10 Things to Do in the Garden in March « Giantveggiegardener's Blog ← Spinach, Lettuce, and Tomatoes! (Seed Sowing Saturday) from The […]
Will carrot seeds germinate this time of the year? I’m about 40 miles south of SF.
Yes you can plant carrot seeds but I would put them under row cover at night or snow or one of those bitter cold spring days. They need some kind of protection. I would uncover them in the days so the soil can start to warm with our sunny days.
Question: can you get ym-yum mix locally, or do you order it through High Country Gardens? I called Payne’s, but the girl who answered was new and didn’t know if they carried it.
So much knowledge here — I cannot wait see how my plants do this year with some new ideas!
You can get it a Agua Fria Nursery and if you call the other nurseries they may have it too. Big box stores do not carry it. There is no reason t order it online when it is already here locally.
Thank you! Agua Fria’s not too far from me, so I’ll run over today.