Now that the gardening season has slowed down to a snails’ crawl, put your feet up by the fireplace, drink a hot mug of chocolate and relax! You deserve it! But for those of us who like to stay busy, here are 10 things gardeners can do in January.
1. Reflect on what you did in the garden last year-what worked, what didn’t and what you might do differently this year.
2. Get those new seed catalogs and start planning next season’s garden.
3. On a warm day tidy up your garden shed or tool area.
4. Sharpen and oil tools. Sand rough handles and oil them too.
5. Sort and organize seeds you’ve collected and older seed packets/ Get new seeds for packets over 3 years old.
6. Catch up on all the gardening magazines you have lying around.
7. If we get snow, shovel it off the pathways and put on your trees nearby-they will love the extra moisture.
8. If we don’t get snow, water your garden on a warm day.
9. Empty the hoses out so they will be ready for the next watering.
10. Prune and shape fruit trees-cut off those waterspouts now that the trees are sleeping.
And don’t forget to feed and give water to the birds.
Can you think of more things? I’m sure I’ve missed many things we could do and would enjoy hearing what you will be doing this January.